Happy New Year, Yankees Universe. Spring training will be here before we know it and Opening Day will follow shortly thereafter. The Yankees still have a lot of work to do to get ready for the 2014 season. They don't need my help but, I've come up with some New Year's resolutions that certainly can't hurt them. Here they are, in no particular order:
1. Joe Girardi: Leave the starting pitchers alone. Don't be so quick to go to the bullpen all the time.
2. Ivan Nova: Find and show some consistency. It just might make you the ace of the staff.
3. New Players: Just do your thing, guys. Don't let the bright lights of the big city get to you.
4. Michael Pineda: Show me something, already! Pitch your way into the starting rotation.
5. David Robertson: Just remember this- You're not Mariano so don't try to be him.
6. Mark Teixeira: Start earning your money. Stay healthy and hit more for average.
7. Derek Jeter: Act your age. Everyone knows you're almost 40. DH some, okay?
8. CC Sabathia: Stay slim, dude. Learn how to pitch differently. Don't compromise your health.
9. Brett Gardner: Show off your value, Gardy. Get on base and move those legs.
10. Dellin Betances: You're not getting any younger, dude. Make the team this spring.
11. Francisco Cervelli: Keep on truckin'. Your energy is, and always has been, just great.
12. Brian Cashman: Keep showing restraint, Cash. Cano wasn't worth it and you knew it.
13. The front office: Leave A-Rod alone. Lay off the trash talking already.
14. A-Rod: Leave the Yankees alone. Lay off the trash talking already!
Have I left anything out? Let me know!